Search and Rescue news articles
- "I was lied to and treated with disrespect." - April 27, 2013
- Hiker's Body Found in Mtns. - April 19, 2013
- Body of Missing Lost Dutchman Hiker Possibly Found by Superstition Search and Rescue - April 19, 2013
- Body of missing hiker found in Superstitions - April 19, 2013
- Golden Sun R.V. Resort Assists Superstition Search & Rescue - January 30, 2013
- Body of man who hunted legendary 'Lost Dutchman's' gold mine believed found in Arizona mountains - November 29, 2012
- Superstition Search and Rescue Team Finds Human Remains in Same Area Where Missing Gold Prospector's Campsite Was Found in 2009 - November 27, 2012
- 2012 Grand Canyon Clean Up - October 8, 2012
- Jeff Block, buddy Blue are leaving their mark - August 25, 2012
- Missing Ariz. man found dead in truck, police confirm - August 10, 2012
- AJ man and his dog killed in truck crash -- found at bottom of Salt River Canyon by search team - August 8, 2012
- A Deadly Vision - February 28, 2011
- Third body found in Superstitions - January 24, 2011
- Local search and rescue team believes remains in Superstitions may be missing Utah man - January 17, 2011
- 2010 Review - January 1, 2011
- Moonlight hike held for FBI - November 4, 2010
- Missing Man Found Dead - October 18, 2010
- 20th Annual Grand Canyon Clean Up - October 17, 2010
- SSAR Receives CERT Training - July 19, 2010
- SSAR Expands Services to Include Urban Rescue - January 14, 2010
- SSAR Delivers - January 5, 2010
- SSAR Finds Body in San Tan Valley Canal - January 3, 2010
- Search and Rescue Receives State Commendation - December 6, 2009
- Second Rescue in SSAR's Final Days with County - November 29, 2009
- Injured Woman Rescued From Cliff - November 25, 2009
- Superstition Mountain Rescue - October 26, 2009
- SSAR Will Not Join Sheriff's Posse - October 16, 2009
- Search and Rescue Participates in Rescue Rodeo - June 15, 2009
- Two Rescued From Superstitions - September 29, 2008
- Superstition Search and Rescue Inspires 'Rock the Boat' - September 10, 2008
- Climber clung for life before 80-foot fall - March 15, 2008
- Phoenix New Times Best Mountain Rescue - March 01, 2008
- AJ hiker survives 6 days injured in Superstitions - April 19, 2007
- SSAR is First Recipient of the Lacy-Conner Peterson Grant - May 22, 2006
Superstition Search and Rescue Inspires 'Rock the Boat'
By Julie Baker
The Art Institute of Phoenix
You are at Thanksgiving dinner surrounded by loved ones and enchanted with the mouth-watering aroma of succulent turkey, sweet potatoes and warm apple pie. Your pager abruptly interrupts the evening. Immediately you begin a two-hour travel to save someone's life.
This story is not about a superhero. This story is about regular men and women with superhero hearts.
The Superstition Search and Rescue team is a volunteer service organization affiliated with the Pinal County Sheriff's Office in Florence, Arizona. The purpose of the non-profit group is to assist individuals who experience wilderness-related problems such as: injuries, being lost, an excess of heat or cold exposure.
Robert Cooper has been actively volunteering for 14 years. "It's a lifestyle. You must have very understanding spouses and bosses. The majority of the people that join say it is all worth it," shares Cooper.
The time donated is immense. Not only must they travel far to reach the victims, they must constantly attend rigorous trainings to stay in top shape and up to date. They are only reimbursed for the gas they use to commute to the victims. They are not completely funded for costs of equipment and certainly not their time.
Through the 'Rock the Boat' project, the proceeds made from the auction of the Chris Craft will be donated to Superstition Search and Rescue.
Host, Keith Bennet, explains, "This the foundational story of why the boat is being refurbished."
For more information on Superstition Search and Rescue go to www.superstition-sar.org.
Copyright 2013. All rights
For questions, please contact email@example.com.