- "I was lied to and treated with disrespect." - April 27, 2013
- Hiker's Body Found in Mtns. - April 19, 2013
- Body of Missing Lost Dutchman Hiker Possibly Found by Superstition Search and Rescue - April 19, 2013
- Body of missing hiker found in Superstitions - April 19, 2013
- Golden Sun R.V. Resort Assists Superstition Search & Rescue - January 30, 2013
- Body of man who hunted legendary 'Lost Dutchman's' gold mine believed found in Arizona mountains - November 29, 2012
- Superstition Search and Rescue Team Finds Human Remains in Same Area Where Missing Gold Prospector's Campsite Was Found in 2009 - November 27, 2012
- 2012 Grand Canyon Clean Up - October 8, 2012
- Jeff Block, buddy Blue are leaving their mark - August 25, 2012
- Missing Ariz. man found dead in truck, police confirm - August 10, 2012
- AJ man and his dog killed in truck crash -- found at bottom of Salt River Canyon by search team - August 8, 2012
- A Deadly Vision - February 28, 2011
- Third body found in Superstitions - January 24, 2011
- Local search and rescue team believes remains in Superstitions may be missing Utah man - January 17, 2011
- 2010 Review - January 1, 2011
- Moonlight hike held for FBI - November 4, 2010
- Missing Man Found Dead - October 18, 2010
- 20th Annual Grand Canyon Clean Up - October 17, 2010
- SSAR Receives CERT Training - July 19, 2010
- SSAR Expands Services to Include Urban Rescue - January 14, 2010
- SSAR Delivers - January 5, 2010
- SSAR Finds Body in San Tan Valley Canal - January 3, 2010
- Search and Rescue Receives State Commendation - December 6, 2009
- Second Rescue in SSAR's Final Days with County - November 29, 2009
- Injured Woman Rescued From Cliff - November 25, 2009
- Superstition Mountain Rescue - October 26, 2009
- SSAR Will Not Join Sheriff's Posse - October 16, 2009
- Search and Rescue Participates in Rescue Rodeo - June 15, 2009
- Two Rescued From Superstitions - September 29, 2008
- Superstition Search and Rescue Inspires 'Rock the Boat' - September 10, 2008
- Climber clung for life before 80-foot fall - March 15, 2008
- Phoenix New Times Best Mountain Rescue - March 01, 2008
- AJ hiker survives 6 days injured in Superstitions - April 19, 2007
- SSAR is First Recipient of the Lacy-Conner Peterson Grant - May 22, 2006
Two Rescued From Superstitions
By Christina Fuoco-Karasinski
A 72-year-old Gold Canyon man and his nephew were rescued from the Superstition Wilderness Thursday, September 25, after losing their way during a 13-mile hike from the Peralta Trailhead.
Superstition Search and Rescue members Richard Carpenter and Bruce Horken located Guenter Cohn and Mathew Cohn, who began their hike at 8 a.m. Wednesday, September 24, on the trail west of Weavers Needle.
The two were out of water, lost, dehydrated and exhausted, said Robert Cooper of Superstition Search and Rescue. After hydrating and assessing their condition, Superstition Search and Rescue called for an air extract because the Cohns were "very weak and still five miles from completing their journey," Cooper said.
"What they did right was they informed family of their plan and, once lost, stayed and slept on the trail," Cooper said.
"What they did wrong was not being prepared for the extended stay. Even the best plans can go bad. They had no light source or fire-making goods. The helicopter could have found them right away in the night if they had."
According to Cooper, the Cohns had a map, GPS, a knife and 10 liters of water before starting the hike. "With the cool mornings and afternoon hot temps they quickly ran out of water. Once they were out of water, Guenter began eating the prickly pear fruit but couldn't get Mathew to." Maricopa Search and Rescue also aided in the search and rescue.
The Superstition Wilderness has approximately 50 trails with many intersections and is 242 square miles.
Wilderness Hiking Tips
Make a plan and tell someone.
Never hike alone
Water - a gallon a day
Map of area
Compass or GPS
First Aid Kit
Body protection items